Cultural Center Deustche Schule
The old German School, Deutsche Schule, founded in 1866 by the Lutheran community ran between 1876 and 1939. With the onset of World War 2 it needed to be closed because of the nationalization campaign imposed by the Brazilain government. It only reopened in 1962, when it merged with the Bom Jesus Institute.
In September 2000, we launched the idea of creating the Cultural Center Deutsche Schule-CCDS. In 2006, the Ministry of Culture approved the restauration and rehabilitation project of the space at the old school. On the 10th November 2010, we inaugurated the Cultural Center Deutsche Schule.
The purpose of the Cultural Center Deutsche Schule is:
- Increase access to culture in its spaces.
- Promote debate about the preservation of the city's history and patrimony.
- Train multiplying cultural agents.
- Disseminate the city's cultural patrimony, improving the relationship between the community and its surroundings.
- Disseminate information about aspects of the city and its culture, which has been collected from research carried out and make it available in varied ways — videos, photos, documentaries and different publications.
Contact and information
From Monday to Friday, 8am to 12 and 1.30pm to 5.30pm.